An Al‑Anon Information Service (AIS), also known as an Intergroup, is a local service established and maintained by one or more districts or by groups located close enough to one another for easy access and communication. An AIS often may have an office where Al‑Anon Conference Approved Literature is available for purchase and provides a website with meeting schedules and other Al‑Anon/Alateen information. Groups served by an AIS send Information Service Representatives or Intergroup Representatives to regularly scheduled meetings.
The MVAIS, or Miami Valley Al-Anon Information Service, serves the groups in and around the communities of Dayton and Springfield, Ohio. It covers the region from Springboro in the south to Lima in the north. Our bi-monthly meetings are on the first Thursday of the month.
The MVAIS sponsors this web site and provides telephone support for those seeking information about Al‑Anon and Alateen. We recommend speakers for open meetings and other events, and staff informational booths at health fairs and other events. We rely heavily on volunteers to function effectively. See below for how you can help.
Al-Anon’s Twelfth Step suggests we, “carry this message to others. . . .” We do this through service to relatives and friends of alcoholics. Service work can take many different forms, such as sharing one’s story at a meeting, making a telephone call to reach out to a member, setting up coffee at a meeting, or contributing time at a service center answering phones or stuffing mail. Training is always available for new volunteers.
Miami Valley Al-Anon Information Service Intergroup depends on the generosity of its volunteers. “Let it begin with me” when someone reaches out for help.
Are you interested in volunteering? Please see the opportunities listed below and contact us.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Attend MVAIS bi-monthly meetings
- Take minutes & attendance
- Send meeting minutes, treasurer’s reports and any other related items that need to be included to representatives of all the meetings in our region and to officers. (This is done via U.S. Mail and email.)
- Keep records of each meeting for archives
- Send out or bring agenda for meetings
- Email reminders before meetings
- Occasionally help Public Outreach with flyers
Duties & Responsibilities
- Update and print meeting schedules
- Make certain all of the previous year’s financial records (treasurer reports, bank statements, deposit slips, IRS & Ohio Attorney General filings), as well as complete minutes from the previous year, are turned collected and stored in the archives.
- Create an inventory (in a Word document) with a list of yearly records.
- Keep record of any purchases of supplies or equipment, adding it to the yearly inventory making note of costs. (This information is needed for the annual group report.)
If you’re interested in volunteering either of these open positions, please contact MVAIS via the form below, or leave us a message at (937) 640-2008.